Here are my top seven tips for moms. They are not in order of importance. The seventh is just as important as the first.
Start teaching the kids to help around the house as soon as they are old enough. This serves two purposes. It reduces your workload and it teaches them responsibility.
2. Make time for exercise. Researchers have proven that regular physical activity keeps us healthy. It may reduce your risks of a number of life threatening diseases. It will also increase your energy levels and improve your mood. An exercise routine for moms on DVD is something you can do while still being with your child.
3. Get plenty of rest. Many moms focus on the health of their kids while neglecting their own. Think about it this way. If you are sick, who is going to take care of your children? Your body needs sleep in order to repair damage done during the day and to keep your immune system strong.
4. Eat right. Busy moms are tempted by fast foods and convenience items. Those foods are usually high in calories and low in nutritional value. Plus, the cost is three or four times higher than it would be for the ingredients used in the recipes. So this one of the “double-duty” tips for moms, it will save money and improve your health. There is a page on the Advice From Mom site that details the benefits of a healthy diet.
Use one of your days off to plan what you will eat for the rest of the week. Make your own frozen dinners by making extra and investing in some good freezer containers. Use raw fruits and vegetables as no-prep convenience foods. An occasional pizza is fine. Just don’t make it a habit.
5. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Remember, you are not superwoman. You can only do so much in a day. When the house is dirty and you’re tired, go ahead and rest. The dust will be there tomorrow. If you are stressed, you may need a timeout for mom.
6. Play with your kids every day. This is one of my tips for moms and dads. Researchers have found that kids learn more through play than you might think. While classroom education is important, playing games with mom and dad is important, too.
7. Read. If you are a new mom with a new baby, there are numerous resources at your disposal. The more you know about raising children, the more confident you will be. Many new moms are frustrated by interfering mother-in-laws and other well-meaning relatives. If your way of doing things is recommended by the experts, they won’t be able to argue with you.
These 7 tips for moms can help you to healthier, happier and happier.